Monday 1 September 2008

Frog End - Monday 1st September



A day of poor weather meant that there was not a great deal to be found of interest at Frog End today but the Slow Worm did come out for a brief spell. I don't think mentioned the other day that Helen and I measured it and it is exactly 13 inches {32.5cm} long. Today it was nodding its head up and down in a strange manner.


A couple of Garden Spiders (Araneus diadematus) were on the vegetation.


I found a grasshopper on the Crocosmia - I think it's a Field Grasshopper (Chorthippus brunneus).



I found some more of the caterpillars that Helen discovered the other day. I realised that they couldn't be Clouded Drab because it is the wrong time of year so I'll have to leave it until I've got access to my caterpillar book.



I popped out to Sainsburys and in the process took a photo of the sculptures that stand on the entrance roundabout. I'm not really sure what the are supposed to symbolise but, as Ian pointed out, they may not symbolise anything.

1 comment:

Scriptor Senex said...

I since discovered that this is a turning point in the annual Great West Run - perhaps that is the reason for them being here.